Student Life Team
Joshua Fidalgo, Dean of Student Life
Joao Barros, Dean of Student Life
Together, they work to ensure that every one of our students has a positive experience at the Dearborn. We want our students to be healthy, active, safe, and challenged. This involves making sure they are exposed and have access to opportunities they want to explore.
We understand the impact a positive school culture has on a student’s success in school and beyond. We will work diligently as a team to hold students to high expectations while also nurturing their individual potential.
Student Services Team
Mina Debarros-Depina, Guidance Counselor
Ms. Debarros-Depina has been the guidance counselor at the Dearborn for 20 years. She is a certified educator and mental health professional who advocates for all students, coordinates services for students and families and serves as a consultant and a mediator. She helps teachers and parents understand children as she helps children understand themselves and others.
- Provide individual and group counseling to help students with academic success.
- Assist students, families and teachers during crisis situations.
- Develop intervention plans for students with absentees, potential dropouts, at-risk behaviors and/or lack of academic progress.
- Referral families and students to community services and programs.
- Assist students with school transition and orient students to new school setting
- Assist parents and students analyze test results to understand student’s abilities, achievement, interests and needs.
- Conduct conferences with parents, teachers and students.
- Maintain students’ records
- Regularly meet with teachers, administrators, student support team and community partners to discuss students needs and coordinate resources for students and families.
- Support College Counselor in assisting students with the college process
Parents may contact Ms. Debarros-Depina to discuss:
- Academic concerns
- Behavior concerns and/or during crisis situations
- New school transition and orientation
- Assessment interpretation
- Family transitions and community resources
- Colleges and career opportunities.
- Financial Aid and college options
- After school programs and extra curricular activities
- Schedule changes and concerns
Tim Likosky, College Counselor
Visit College Readiness for more information.
Estefania Alves, Social Worker
Ms. Alves works to ensure students’ well being so that they may be able to succeed academically. Below is a list of the many services she provides students and families.
- A safe space for dialogue where confidentiality will be adhered to (except in cases of physical, sexual, or emotional abuse and harm to self or others)
- Individual or group counseling to students
- Daily/weekly check-ins with students
- Support for students on Individual Education Plans
- Design socio-emotional and behavioral plans that support the student at home and school.
- Assists in mediating parent-guardian/child differences (misunderstandings/miscommunication)
- Observes students in classrooms
- Collaborates with teachers and staff to effectively support student needs
- Helps expecting/parenting students access resources
- Assists homeless students in finding transportation to school
- Supports newcomers in adjusting to a new school, culture and country
- Connects families to external services (family therapy, food pantries, etc.)
- Connects families to resources in the community that support positive socio-emotional and behavioral development