We are a Boston Public School and an in-district, Horace Mann charter school offering an exceptional education in the Dudley neighborhood of Roxbury. Founded in 2012 by BPE, in partnership with Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, we serve 325 students in grades K1-5.
We are a BPE Teaching Academy in which residents from Boston Teacher Residency partner with experienced teachers to deliver ambitious instruction in each classroom. Teachers have opportunities to observe one another’s work, receive feedback on their teaching, engage in cycles of inquiry, analyze data, reflect on practice, support and push each other er to grow.
Key features of our school:
- Dudley Street School forms a PreK-12 neighborhood pathway with Dearborn STEM Academy, which moves to a brand new state-of-the-art STEM facility in 2018.
- Two Directors of Instruction lead a flexible and collaborative staffing model.
- Our 3rd, 4th and 5th grades employ a team teaching approach, allowing teachers to focus on either math or ELA in order to better serve students.
- We have a dedicated Special Education and ESL teacher for each grade level team.
- We make data informed decisions around instruction, planning and individualized learning plans.
- Our school day features more time for teaching and learning through an extended school day.
- We feature a K1-K2 loop with the same teacher for two years, so teachers get to know their students well.
- We offer strong socio-emotional support through Responsive Classroom curriculum and school partner agencies.
- We maintain strong partnerships with community organizations and other schools in the Dudley neighborhood.
- Family engagement opportunities include a literacy night and a math night in which parents can experience classroom instruction.
Our charter was successful re-approved in September 2017. View our charter renewal application.